That girl in black.... and other fashion colors

You've heard about her. Most likely you've even seen her. I hear she gets around.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Perspective

It is not an understatement to say I have an eclectic mix of associates. From my odd Aquarian interests, I've managed to cultivate contacts with a wide range of people. All with varying levels of personality (or lack thereof).

Over the last few years, however, it seems I have been socializing with them less, for one reason or another. Some have changed jobs, moved away, married off, or passed on. Granted, I've also been working more, so am less available.

Perhaps it is the wedding (thinking about guest lists and all), making me think more about "who are my friends?" Although I know more of the reason I have been thinking about it more is due to the fact I have a friend at work right now, struggling with her job, thanks to an inflexible peer creating conflict with her boss. My friend is an educated, saavy, loving, and fun person. To see her under such stress, especially since she was just blessed with a baby (after being married a really long time, and the baby was premature, due to all her stress at work), makes me want to go and smack her oppressors.

The smart worker part of my brain realizes another's struggles are seldom what they seem from the outside. I have had more than one work "friend" end up getting fired, only to find out it was due more to their own negligence than an irrational boss. I guess because I am friendly to about everybody, and don't mind to listen, I tend to be asked for an ear. This work friend readily admits that she is not keeping up as well as she would like. But I also know the personalities she has to deal with. So I do believe she would be able to do her job (she has plenty of experience and background for it), if it were not for others' control issues.

Rather than rambling on about that injustice... back to the topic at hand. When, if ever, do you come to a point of moving on?

Then again, maybe you shouldn't. My bad girl girlfriend in NKC sent me this email yesterday:
I used to believe in the concept of one best friend,and then I started to become a woman.

And then I found out that if you allow your heart to open up, God would show you the best in many friends.


One friend is needed when you're going through things with your man.
Another friend is needed when you're going through things with your mom.
Another when you want to shop, share, heal, hurt, joke, or just be.
One friend will say, "Let's cry together,"
another, "Let's fight together,"
another, "Let's walk away together."

One friend will meet your spiritual need,
another your shoe fetish,
another your love for movies,
another will be with you in your season of confusion,
another will be your clarifier,
another the wind beneath your wings.

But whatever their assignment in your life,
on whatever the occasion,
on whatever the day,
or wherever you need them to meet you with their gym shoes on and hair pulled back,
or to hold you back from making a complete fool of yourself
those are your best friends.

It may all be wrapped up in one woman,
but for many, it's wrapped up in several...
one from 7 th grade,
one from high school,
several from the college years,
a couple from old jobs,
on some days your mother,
on some days your neighbor,
on others, your sisters,
and on some days, your daughters.

So whether they've been your friend for 20 minutes or 20 years, AND ONLY IF YOU'D LIKE TO, pass this on to the women that God has placed in your life to make a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home