That girl in black.... and other fashion colors

You've heard about her. Most likely you've even seen her. I hear she gets around.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

It's 6- 6- ZERO 6, dammit!

While I can champion the ideal of anarchy and rebellion... the devil and his minions won't get any due from me, today.

As someone who must keep multiple years worth of files, data, and medical records straight.... I can tell you:

People that drop the zero off numeric dates annoy the CRAP out of me! So when you tell me I'm full of chit, you'd be wrong. Besides, I have this thing about not wanting to retain waste in my body. I'm too paranoid of cancer, and all that.

Anyway~!

Okay, even I catch myself leaving the zero off single-digit months. But it is not necessarily by choice! When I would write numeric dates in full digit code (06/06/2006), my nonsystems-literate colleagues made fun of me. So I find myself writing to other's level of comprehension. And that, my dear readers, is another blog rant unto itself.

But when I see professional recordkeeping (at my work, it's medical related), where the clinician has dropped the zero off... of the YEAR? My head wants to asplode. Can one be ANY more lazy?

Try keeping several years worth of publications, pictures, or other time-defined dated on a computer. It doesn't matter if you're talking about Word, Access, or plain ol' Notepad. You can't label it "June 2006" and have it appear sixth on a date list, starting with January.

You have to label it 200606xx, or such. You also can't just label it 20066xx and have it show up in the right position. But try telling that to a bunch of women who may have not used a personal computer until they started this job. Now who's the freak!?!

It also doesn't help that our newest claims processing system puts the year first. So now all the dates (just in that system) are YYYY/MM/DD. Thanks for being opposite of all the other operating systems we have out there, guys!

Oy

3 Comments:

At 9:08 PM PDT, Blogger Degolar said...

That pesky zero. The fatalists only missed the day of the antichrist by 2000 years.

It does make sense from an organizational perspective to have the year first. Group by the largest category first (year), then the next smaller (month), then the most specific (day).

 
At 7:03 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Bitter! :)

 
At 7:37 PM PDT, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

It's like your GenX journalism majors... they THINK they know what they're doing since they have a degree.

The SEs THINK they know best, since they are the "system gurus", yanno.

PS: Thanks for your input, Mr. Kettle. Signed, Ms. Pot

: P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home