That girl in black.... and other fashion colors

You've heard about her. Most likely you've even seen her. I hear she gets around.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Working for the Weekend

Upon waking yesterday morning, I was relieved to realize that it was Friday. Which is different for me. It was a joy to realize I didn't have to figure out an outfit, as it was a jeans day. Throw on the blues and a black shirt, good to go. But a millisecond later, it hit me... I was actually comforted by the knowledge that I only had to endure one more day of oppression before a merciful break.

My optimistic side hopes that the weekend break will release some pressure. Or grant some perspective. I'm not confident either will happen. It is just difficult to describe. It's not like I don't see what is happening. I just didn't believe the company would tolerate it. Or maybe the reason I can finally recognize it is that I'm on the sane side of the fence, watching the frentic spin. Which is doubly surprising, given my junior status in years of experience.

Perhaps what disappoints me the most, is that I really want to respect my oppressor. There are a lot of personality traits and business knowledge I admire. But the downfall of vanity, and lack of humility, is beyond forgiveness. It is one thing to be expected to apologize when you have actually done something wrong. But to be expected to apologize, when you have done nothing but your job, just because someone else is threatened of you, then that is not acceptable.

When we question the method and rationale for such oppression, then it is intensified. They can try to throw all the justification and verbiage at us they want. There is still no valid reason. And it is almost humourous, since it will only feed our cause. It would have been one thing for our own to come to us and say "We realize it is not fair, and you are doing what you must. But others are unhappy, so let's be more discreet." But that was not the way it was presented. Right off the bat, it was antagonistic.

So for about the first time I can ever think of, I will be working for the money. I have a good crew of people that I look forward to seeing every day. And I have a good career that makes a difference. But the people paying me are not inspiring me to protect their interests. So for that, you reap what you sow.

2 Comments:

At 12:59 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Rough day??

 
At 6:33 AM PDT, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Dang, it has been a rough week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home