That girl in black.... and other fashion colors

You've heard about her. Most likely you've even seen her. I hear she gets around.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Who knew?

Who knew the public library could be so hip?

The Topeka-Shawnee county public library has started a graphic novel section. With actually more books than you would think!

And!

You can reserve them online, to be mailed to you. Brilliant!

I'm still kicking myself in the ass for relinquishing all those comics from back in the day. Who knew that it would have been more beneficial to keep the books, than the marriage? It was really a drag to transform from young lovers with disposable income to sensible parents.

But now I can check out all the books I want, and catch up on my favorite storylines.

These two arrived last week/end.

4 Comments:

At 8:08 PM PDT, Blogger Missy said...

Yeah, my beloved raids that section every time we go to the library. Makes for some wicked long check-out receipts. My kids get a kick out of seeing if they are as tall as the receipt. We are easily entertained at my house.

 
At 4:25 AM PDT, Blogger Degolar said...

Come, now. You actually ask that question after reading The Cringing Goblin? Oh, wait, I guess we probably up the geek factor of the library, not hip. :-) But I'm surprised Topeka-Shawnee County hasn't had graphic novels until now. The movement to get them in public libraries started about 10 years ago and many places have had them for 5 years or so. Of course, I still haven't been able to convince our collection people to buy the anime that goes along with our incredibly popular manga. The latest thing in public libraries is video games. We've had a couple of tournaments the past few months and it's really getting buzz in conferences and such. And this summer I'm going to offer a couple of introduction to D&D programs to see if there's any interest. Glad you're enjoying the new collection.

 
At 6:43 AM PDT, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Of course the libraries in Johnson County are much more hip than Shawnee... due to degolar and his associates!

; )

If E finds manga titles he reads, we should have a dead lock on getting him to go more often. He is collecting them at home, which besides the money invested, is taking up some space.

I will probably not mention the video games, though. Ha! He gets a pretty free rein at home. It does make me happy libraries are offering the tournaments. My little monster boy noticed the signs, but hadn't been old enough to participate at the time. I wouldn't even mind to take him, if I could overcome the urge to tell all the yakkity children "sssshhhhh!".

They are having fun, and I'm glad for it. It is a lot better environment for gaming than letting the older kids come in and trade all day.

missy
That sounds hysterical! We would be just as amused. DBo likes lots of big, heavy, coffee table books. So usually I'm nagging him to not bring home his body weight's worth.

 
At 8:34 AM PDT, Blogger Ted Carter said...

I need to spend some more time at the library checking out the graphic novels. I'm usually too busy chasing the Man Cub to be able to stop and take the time...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home